Choosing the correct food for your dog means carefully selecting meals with the appropriate ingredients so that they can have a well-balanced and healthy diet. The right nutrition for your dog depends on its breed, age, and activity level. Apart from exercise, the daily diet is the chief contributor to a dog’s well-being. Listed below are a few healthy dog food tips that you must keep in mind when you next visit the pet shop to get them their chow.
- Check the ingredients on the label: While buying food for your dog, you must examine the labels and check its ingredients. Usually, the product lists the contents in order of the nutrients present in the highest amount to the lowest. You can research the ingredients and check whether it is good or bad for your dog.
- Prevent making shelf-stable food as their daily diet: Because of cleverly crafted marketing strategies, the consumer does not pay attention to why some processed foods have a shelf life of around 24 months. These products do not have live enzymes because of their industrial cooking, and mostly depend on synthetic ingredients to meet balanced food standards. Processed foods should not become a staple diet for your dog. Instead, you must only use it when you have no time for preparing a fresh meal for your pet.
- Feed fresh whole food: Feeding your dog fresh whole food is a vital healthy dog food tip. Whole foods are rich in fiber and live enzymes, which encourage pooping to help digestion and improve stools. Most of the essential nutrients are ruined by industrial cooking to make shelf-stable food. Fresh whole foods not only contain the necessary nutrients, but it has them in their natural form. This makes it easy for the body to assimilate, absorb, and make necessary use of them.
- Feed foods with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties: Inflammation is the primary cause of many diseases and also leads to premature aging in dogs. So, it is imperative that you choose foods that have anti-inflammatory ingredients. Whole foods are rich in antioxidants and help to boost the natural immunity levels in pets.
- Avoid gluten: Another one of the healthy dog food tips is to prevent feeding your furry friend dry foods that have gluten. Specifically, corn gluten, which is added to pet food to avoid unstable and inferior fats from becoming sour. Accumulation of this ingredient in the body can lead to a longer retention of waste byproducts that can further strain the kidneys and liver.
- Replace organic green lentils with rice: Dogs do not require grains to remain healthy. In fact, most dogs have allergic reactions to wheat. Green lentils, on the other hand, are protein-rich and provide a perfect alternative to rice. Lentils require the same cooking time as rice and are rich in a lot of nutrients. They have a very high protein content, are rich in magnesium, iron, and aid in building your dog’s immune system.