Dogs are loyal and amazing companions and people love having them as their pets. But, having a pet is not all play and involves quite a bit of work too. As one responsible for their welfare, just feeding them isn’t enough, you also have to ensure to protect them from probable health issues that disease-ridden pests can cause. To help you out, here are some simple home remedies to get rid of fleas and ticks in dogs.
DIY sprays: Some natural ingredients can help in keeping fleas and ticks away from your home, and hence, from your dog. A few of the useful sprays that you can make at home include the following:
- Salt and apple cider vinegar spray: Apple cider vinegar is a versatile ingredient and it can also be used along with a dash of salt to create a protective spray. It will keep your dog’s coat free of fleas, and will also aid in retaining the natural pH levels of the animal. Also, it is good for environment. While spraying, make a note to shield the eyes of the pet.
- Spray from essential oils: Essential oils like tea tree, eucalyptus, citronella and rosemary can naturally repel fleas. All you need to do is dilute some drops of any of these oils along with water and voila, you have your flea repellent spray.
- Homemade baths and dips: Bathing your dog on a regular basis can also be helpful in keeping your pet free from fleas and ticks. Some home remedies to get rid of fleas and ticks in dogs involve the use of lemon. You can add lemon juice in the water while bathing the dog. It will keep your pet fresh and free from such pests. When choosing pet shampoo, it is necessary to get one that produces enough lather since that is vital in the thorough cleaning of the pet’s body and hair.
- Dog combs: The home remedies to get rid of fleas and ticks in dogs also include different types of combs for brushing the hair of your pet. Flea combs and lemon combs can be helpful in this regard. The former is available in pet stores, and you can make the latter at home by dipping your regular pet comb in some fresh lemon juice.
- Collars for dogs: You can also make a collar for your dog that can shield him/her from ticks and fleas. Applying some drops of cedar or lavender oil on a usual collar or bandana can turn it into a flea repellent collar. A dog collar dipped in unflavored vodka is also one of the ways to provide effective protection to dogs from fleas.
In a nutshell, there is not one but many home remedies to get rid of fleas and ticks in dogs. You can try any of them to keep your dog safe these pests. These remedies will also keep your pet free from the itches, making it easier for them to be their playful, loving self.